The qualifications for nomination for prospective candidate seeking to be elected to the House of Assembly must be that the person:-
- Is a citizen of Saint Lucia ;
- Is not under twenty-one years of age;
- Was born-
(i) In Saint Lucia and he or she is domiciled and resident there at the date of his nomination for election; or
(ii) Outside Saint Lucia but has resided in Saint Lucia for a period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of his or her nomination for election;
- Is able to speak and read the English language with a degree of proficiency sufficient to enable him or her to take an active part in the proceedings of the House of Assembly;
- Is not by virtue of his or her own act under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience or adherence to a foreign power or state;
- Is not a minister of religion
- Is not an undischarged bankrupt having been adjudged or otherwise declared bankrupt under any law in force in any part of the Commonwealth;
- Is not a person certified to be in sane or otherwise adjudged to be of unsound mind under any law in force in Saint Lucia.
- Is not under sentence of death impose on him or her by a court in any part of the Commonwealth or is serving a sentence of imprisonment (by whatever name called) exceeding 12 months imposed upon him or her by such a court or substituted competent authority for some other sentence of imprisonment the execution of which has been suspended;
- Is not disqualified for member ship of the House of Assembly by any law enacted by parliament of Saint Lucia by reason of his or her having any such interest in any such government contact as may be prescribed by law;
- Is not disqualified for membership of the House of Assembly by virtue of any law enacted by the parliament of Saint Lucia relating to offences connected with elections;
- Does not hold, nor is he or she acting in any public office;
- Is not disqualified for election by any law enacted by the Parliament of Saint Lucia by reason of his or her holding or acting in any office the functions of which involved responsibility for, or in connection with, the conduct of any election; or for the compilation or revision of any electoral register.